The fight starts before the armor, before you pick up your stick, and before you step onto the field. It begins with an individual that is devoted to himself and understands the gravity of taking up arms against his fellow man.

Thursday, March 19, 2015

On 9:44 AM by Unknown     2 comments
I've come to realize that the scheduled practices in my area do not provide everything I need to maintain and grow my skills.  Full armored sessions do what you'd expect.  Provide a venue for sparring and learning through full contact drills.  This is fantastic for the technical side of things until you realize they do not tend to help you get into better shape.  I've hit a point where my ability to improve will also be dependent on my personal commitment to physical health.  Building up the body will not only allow me to perform with better technique, but also give me the musculature to support blows thrown at opponents and impacts received from them.

With such a mobile style, cardio will be instrumental in developing a higher level of endurance that will enable me to play the game I want during fights.  Teaching myself to recover quickly and maintain will also provide a benefit for tournament performance.  Where I've push into higher rounds previously, my energy was too low to compete at the level necessary to go further.

Building up muscle is going to prove a bit of a challenge for me.  My genetics and my brain want two different things.  While I would like to bulk up my musculature, my genes essentially go great lets get more lean so you can run faster and have more dexterity, but not lift more weight.  I'm hesitant to jump right into lifting due to inexperience.  It's not something I've done much in the past, and I really have no idea about proper form and technique other than what I've read here and there.  I'm perusing options with a personal trainer through my gym to see if they can help me develop a fitness plan.

What do you do to train yourself, physically and mentally, for fighting?

2 comments :

  1. Physically I go to the gym 5 days a week. 3 days strength training, 2 days cardio. Even on practice nights. On weeks I know there will be a tourney I drop the weight back 10-ish lbs and drop my cardio back by 10 minutes so I'm not wiped or recovering on tourney days. Every 6 weeks I switch up the routines. Same muscle groups just different exercises. For cardio I'm finally back to running and I do rowing.

    I'm not as "pell oriented" as I probably should be. Should work on that.

    Mentally I don't have any real regimen. I just try to have fun and maintain focus on my opponent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now I've been getting to the gym about 3 times a week on days there are not practices. I've been focusing on gains to the upper body and core, and offsetting this with a strong push at interval trained cardio. So far my results have been consistent and my body is starting to adjust to the increase in exercise.

      Delete