The fight starts before the armor, before you pick up your stick, and before you step onto the field. It begins with an individual that is devoted to himself and understands the gravity of taking up arms against his fellow man.

Thursday, May 3, 2012

On 11:16 AM by Unknown in ,     No comments
I've increased the intensity of my workouts and switched to more of a CrossFit style that focuses on both strength and conditioning.  The constant varied, high intensity, movements are aimed at improving general physical preparedness across a broad range of times and situations.  These workouts are typically short, 20 minutes or less, and demand all-out physical exertion.  They combine movements such as sprinting, rowing, weightlifting, and rope climbing as well as plyometrics and other exercises that rely on body weight.

To improve my cardio I run everyday.  Not the same distance mind you but consistently to ensure my body adapts and grows the capillaries I need to stay strong throughout a race.  I've found a pace that I can keep for over four miles, approximately 9:45 minutes per mile, which is not where I want to be but the stability throughout the run is more important right now as I train my knees to deal with my activity level.  Monday was my rest day, so on Tuesday I ran 4.5 miles in 40 minutes.  Yesterday I did 20 minutes of HIIT, or high intensity interval training, on the elliptical and managed to shave 40 seconds off of my 2.25 mile run time.  Overall I'm please with this result.  This means my 5k race time should be much better, and that defeating the obstacles will take less time.  I also stretched well after the run to keep my muscles from becoming too stiff with all the back-to-back workouts I've been doing.

Nutrition is also in the forefront of my mind.  I burn quick and need to remember I'm not doing this to loose weight but to gain muscle and strength.  It is difficult for me to increase the amount and type of foods that I need when I see friends slamming protein shakes instead of eating meals.  Their calorie intake is not MY calorie intake and I need to remember to focus on what is best for my training not just what everyone else is doing. 

Sword training is moving forward.  If I can get my body to catch up with my mind I could have a bit more synergy during my fights.  Working on the pel is helping greatly.  Here I can go through the blows slowly, pick apart footwork, body mechanics and hip shifts all of which are slowly becoming muscle memory.  It's definitely a bit of a grind but the results are well worth it.  Getting a camera set up so I can post videos of training/practice sparing/etc..as well as learn how to critique them.  Comments in the future are encouraged.

0 comments :

Post a Comment