The fight starts before the armor, before you pick up your stick, and before you step onto the field. It begins with an individual that is devoted to himself and understands the gravity of taking up arms against his fellow man.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

On 2:27 PM by Unknown     No comments
I'm almost certain there is nothing worse than attending a large practice and needing to sit aside the fighting due to injury.  It was really really difficult to stand there and watch everyone.  I could feel my willpower slipping as my mind diverged into two paths. 

(1) gear up and fight.  Hope no one hits me in the arm.
(2) leave

So voicing my irritation to my knight yielded a frustrating but useful third option.

(3) observe.  Watch footwork and body motion, compare to skills I've learned on the pel and in gear.  Not the option I wanted to hear but the one that helps build observation and understanding of movement and blow placement within a fight.  Oh, and that patience thing.

Some other thoughts:
Keeping a cool head in a fight.  I don't mean anger but control, the ability to not become caught up in the fight and forget technique.  Some times when I get really excited about fighting I want to rush in head first and pretend like I'm a  6'4" and 250lbs. The end result is usually pretty humorous if you've ever watched me spar.  To control this I've been focusing in keeping my elbow tucked into my body, to reduce flailing/blows that are all arm, keeping my footwork active, and being aware of range.  There is a lot going on during a fight.  By continuing to drill these things into my sub conscience I hope to worry less about what my body is doing and more about what my opponent is up to.

0 comments :

Post a Comment